(Smart Techniques of Prevention)
Project Smart Techniques of Prevention (S.T.O.P.) was developed by the Community Advisory and Resources Education Council (CARE) coalition. Members of the CARE Council noticed a need to increase youth prevention and intervention efforts in the cities of Whittier and Santa Fe Springs.
Project S.T.O.P. seeks to accomplish four goals:
- Reducing the number of students reporting past 30 day use of alcohol and marijuana.
- Increasing perception of harm of alcohol and marijuana use among students.
- Decreasing the availability and accessibility of alcohol and marijuana to students.
- Educating and empowering the community with the knowledge and skills to address substance abuse with their children.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information regarding partnerships, donating to Project S.T.O.P. and other ways to get involved.
- LA County Health & Human Services 2-1-1
- Life Threatening Emergencies 9-1-1
- LA County Substance Abuse Treatment Center (800) 564-6600
- The Parents Toll-Free Helpline 1-855-DRUGFREE (1-855-378-4373)
- Monday – Friday, 7: 00 am – 3:00 pm Pacific time, in English and Spanish
- Didi Hirsch’s 24-hour Suicide Crisis Line (877) 727-4747 Toll-free in Los Angeles, Orange, Ventura, San Bernardino, Riverside, and Imperial Counties.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 800-273-8255.
- TEEN LINE, a confidential telephone helpline for teenaged callers. It operates every evening from 6:00pm to 10:00pm PST and is toll-free from anywhere in California. Call 310-855-HOPE (4673) or text “TEEN” to 839863. http://teenlineonline.org/
- Project Fatherhood 10-12 weeks: In collaboration with the Children’s Institute, this group centered therapeutic program focuses on giving fathers the tools to regain custody of their children with a certified counselor from the Children’s Institute.
- Project Fatherhood helps fathers to be better parents through:
- Individual and family counseling
- Group support
- Significant others group
- Therapeutic activities for children
- Preventing child abuse and neglect
- Helping fathers to make healthier decisions in relationships